Today was challenge release day! The 2015 TRASH TREK Challenge website was overwhelmed at first, but after about 30 minutes we were finally able to get on.
- We viewed the Robot Game video, which gave us an overview of the missions our robot will have to complete.
- We did a journal activity to reflect on our field trip experience from yesterday. Questions included:
- Write down some of your observations from the field trip.
- What are some of the problems or challenges the town faces in disposing of our trash?
- In an ideal world, what would happen to our trash?
- What are some possible solutions to get from where we are now, to where we want to be?
- We spent most of our time using the Mission Model Building Instructions to build the LEGO obstacles that our robot will use to complete its missions. We got seven out of the ten models finished.
- We set up our competition table, vacuumed it (to remove dust and dirt that could throw off our programming), laid out the competition mat, and placed completed models in the correct location.
- We read through the most of the missions list (pages 23-25 of the challenge document); still need to talk about missions 10-12.